Sunday, 17 July 2016

How Hausa Suya Seller Got Murdered at Calabar

Residents of Calabar, the capital of Cross River State were on weekend threw into chaos as unidentified gunmen murdered a 35-year-old suya seller, Habibu Maude, a father of four.

Shot dead at his suya spot along White House Street in Calabar, the deceased, who held from Tangaza local government area of Sokoto State was reportedly shot dead by gunmen after he was robbed.

Following the development, the Hausa community in Calabar have been thrown into moaning, as gathered that Shops and other businesses in Bogobiri (Hausa settlement in Calabar) were in lock and keys over weekend as a result of the incident.

They said they are now live in fear due to incessant attack on their members especially ‘suya’ seller who they claim are now targeted by hoodlums, according to the Secretary of Meat (Suya) sellers at Suya Arcade in Calabar, Malam Mustapha Yusuf, who expressed shock over the brutal murder of the Late Maude.

He said hoodlums had on several occasion attacked and robbed suya sellers within Calabar metropolis, adding that last weekend’s murder of the late Maude was the climax of the incessant attack on members of the association.
Malam Yusuf, who sells suya at Junction, said he had been attacked and robbed twice by hoodlums and decried the rising insecurity in calabar.
Owing to the development, he advised residents to be cautious and always endeavour to close on time.
Malam Yusuf however dismissed insinuations that northerners were being targeted noting “the security challenge is not being faced by northerners alone, it is a general phenomenon.”
The elder brother of the deceased, Malam Sanusi Mohammed, who was still in tears when contacted, disclosed that the hoodlums riddled bullets on his brother’s body after robbing him of the proceeds he made from sales that evening and carted away the meat he was selling.
He said, “My brother usually goes out to sell suya at 16, White House Street in Calabar South local government area every evening and normally returns between 10-11 pm. On the day of the incident, he stayed longer than usual and a neighbour had to call his cell phone to find out what the problem was, but there was no response. The neighbour went to his house and his wife confirmed he was not back.”
“While we were contemplating on what to do next, we saw some soldiers on patrol and reported the matter to them. They took us that night in their patrol van to where he sells suya along White House Street and we were shocked to see him in a pool of blood.”
Malam Mohammed said they immediately reported the matter at Mbukpa Police station and also called the state Commissioner of Police that night to inform him of the incident.



Etiam at libero iaculis, mollis justo non, blandit augue. Vestibulum sit amet sodales est, a lacinia ex. Suspendisse vel enim sagittis, volutpat sem eget, condimentum sem.