Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Nigeria's Soldiers kill 50 terrorists at Sambisa forest


Sambisa Forest, which became a very dangerous war theatre following the kidnap of more than 200 girls of the GGSC, Chibok last weekend witnessed its fiercest battle which resulted in the death of more than fifty terrorists and injuries to four Nigerian soldiers.
Addressing newsmen at the Joint Security Briefing at the National Orientation Agency, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade said that large quantities of arms and ammunition as well as operational vehicles of the insurgents were captured in the night encounter.
Olukolade said that apart from killing more than fifty insurgents, Nigerian soldiers recovered 3,500 rounds of ammunition, thirty automatic rifles, 36 hand grenades, seven heavy machine guns [HMGs], six smoke grenade canisters and locally fabricated handguns and several motorcycles. 
He explained that the Armed Forces, acting on intelligence tip-off about impending Boko Haram attacks on some villages in Adamawa and Borno states, laid ambush by the forest for the insurgents who proceeded on the planned operation by 10pm last Saturday without knowing that soldiers were waiting for them.
General Chris Olukolade said the insurgents planned the foiled attack as “a massive raid” intended to inflict heavy casualties on the communities in the two states adding that the terrorists were ambushed along Bilta, Borno State axis of the forest following intelligence reports.
The army officer assured that soldiers who were injured during the operation are already receiving treatment at nearby hospitals.
He spoke briefly on the clampdown on newspapers by soldiers in many parts of the federation assuring however that since the military has benefited from the freedom of the media, it would do nothing now to stifle the press.
Director General of the National Orientation Agency, Mr. Mike Omeri who was at the briefing also appealed to Nigerians to show some level of understanding over the abnormal security situation in the country and cooperate with security agencies to enable them properly discharge of their duties of securing the nation.
He explained that the Federal Government and the military do not intend to clampdown on the media adding however that searches on distribution vans last week was prompted by intelligence reports that Boko Haram elements were planning to transport dangerous materials across the country through newspaper distribution network.





SHARE THIS

Author:

Etiam at libero iaculis, mollis justo non, blandit augue. Vestibulum sit amet sodales est, a lacinia ex. Suspendisse vel enim sagittis, volutpat sem eget, condimentum sem.

0 comments: